- Kindermusik Classes
- Introductory Class
Whether it’s a first-time experience of going to school or having to say goodbye to an older sibling going to school, change – as exciting as it may be – can also be unsettling for a child. Once-predictable routines are different. There’s a new schedule. Mom or Dad’s attention has to shift a bit, and maybe they’re feeling a little anxious about all the change too.
It may be tempting to let all activities go, even beloved ones like Kindermusik classes, in the face of big life changes like starting school or even welcoming a new little sibling into the family. It’s understandable for adults to feel a certain stress or concern over juggling an increasingly busy schedule, and you may feel concerned that it’s too much for your child too. But young children are actually relieved to have the comfort of a predictable activity with a Kindermusik class or teacher they adore, a setting that’s familiar, and all of their Kindermusik friends they enjoy seeing each week. Even if the child is moving to a different Kindermusik class level or changing a class day and time, what they love and look forward to about Kindermusik doesn’t change. And that’s where the comfort is.
Holding on to something that’s familiar and comforting in the midst of change can go a long way towards helping a child successfully transition to a new routine. For many of our Kindermusik families, that “something familiar and comforting” is their Kindermusik classes… and the Kindermusik songs and activities they enjoy together in between classes throughout the week at home.
Here are 5 musical routines guaranteed to help back-to-school become much smoother:
1. Keep attending Kindermusik classes. You’ll be surprised at how calming this will be for your child… and for you! If you will let her know about the changes your family is facing, your Kindermusik teacher can be aware to give a little extra attention and TLC in the transition as well (an older sibling starting school is also a great time to get a younger child started in Kindermusik!).
2. Incorporate some Kindermusik songs into your new routines. Choose a little song to sing to your child as you wake them up each day and turn on the Kindermusik CD or stream your Kindermusik songs as soon as you get in the car.
3. Create a playlist of your favorite Kindermusik Cuddle Time songs. Keep that playlist handy when it’s one of “THOSE” mornings, or when your child just needs to calm and refocus after dropping big sister off at school or after a long day at school.
4. Make a sing-along playlist. How delightful would it be to start the morning with a song in your heart and a smile on your face? Singing fun, favorite songs can do that for everyone in the family. And no one will think twice if you’re belting out those songs along with your child…except that you might want to remember to change the playlist once your child gets out of the car!
5. Utilize the information for parents in your Kindermusik Online Parent Guide to better understand your child’s developmental stages and needs. There’s some really insightful information to support you in easing your child through transition times, developmentally and scholastically.
Use these little musical routines to make a difference in the lives of everyone in your family. They will Bring joy, cement your connection, strengthen your family and provide experiences for growth. Let the school year begin with Kindermusik.
– Most of this content was originally published on the Minds on Music blog at Kindermusik International.